43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

Mental Case is 'RSS for Your Head'

Today I made the first public beta release of a new piece of software for Mac OS X: Mental Case. Although this is not GTD software, like Midnight Inbox or OmniFocus, it could certainly fit into a GTD system, so I think it is worth mentioning here.

One of GTDs advantages is that it helps you become less worried about forgetting to do things, by making sure there is a place outside your head where everything is recorded, and which you regularly visit.

Mental Case helps you become less stressed about things you are afraid of forgetting. In the great tradition of GTD, it gives you place to store any bits and pieces of information that you want to remember or be reminded of, in a place where they are guaranteed to be revisited. So it's like a specialized GTD tool, for information you are worried you might forget.

An example: You come across a cool web site, which may be useful to you in the future, but not right now. What do you do with that info? Put it in a note? No, because you will not likely see the note again. You could put it in your GTD system, but this is not a task per se, just a little snippet of info that may or may not be useful at some point. The answer: enter it in Mental Case. Mental Case will remind you about it in the future in an RSS-like stream, which is viewed as a slide show.

I am leaving lots of questions unanswered, but the best way to grasp what I am talking about is to download Mental Case, and try it. It's a beta at this point, and free for all.

Drew McCormack
Mental Case Developer

TOPICS: Mac OS X

About drewmccormack

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »