43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

Daily log?

I've been thinking of introducing a daily log into my GTD system but am not sure exactly how to go about it.

Why do I want a log? Isn't the beauty of GTD the ability to get stuff off your mind and out the door?

There are four reasons I'm interested in a log:

1) I want to assess my work habits/productivity during the weekly review. The action lists don't give me much clue about the order in which I do things or the amount of time it takes to get each thing done. The log would also help me become more aware of why I procrastinate on certain tasks. (Also useful for billing and tax purposes when I do freelance work.)

2) Research tracking. I want to be able to review my academic work to understand how I've gotten to where I'm at--to revisit dead ends, to understand my reading/research habits, etc.

3) Spending & health. To monitor my bad habits.

4) To have a "diary" of sorts. I might consider expanding the log to include brief notes about conversations, activities, observations, etc.

This all seems appealing, but I'm also wondering whether it's too much work on top of collecting, processing, and acting. It introduces another level of stuff to be aware of and record.

Also, I'm not sure whether to have a single log (simpler - single point of entry) or whether to divide this into multiple logs (spending, health, work, research).

Finally, I've gotten myself all confused at how a log relates to collection. In some ways, collecting is a log of thoughts. It's the input side of GTD--stuff that comes into my life that needs attention. But I would also like a running log of the "output" side of GTD--stuff that I do. It would be ideal to keep these two logs distinct. But separating them also introduces a whole new level of complexity into my system. (Right now, I'm all paper, using a hipster PDA.)

Any one have any success implementing a log? I'd be interested to hear any advice and/or suggestions. I'd prefer a paper-based solution, as I do much of my work away from the computer.

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »