43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

Kids and targets

I'm brand new to GTD, I've just opened the door by listening to Merlin's productive talk comp podcast. There are a lot of things that are in my head that I know I need to organise and simplify, things that i passionately want to do/accomplish...BUT! No matter how many lists I make or ideas I capture I can't change the fact that I have small children with big demands on my time.

So I suppose all I can do for now is plod along knowing I will get to those things when I can. The hardest thing is ignoring my music. But I can't record or practice while the kids are awake because they need my attn and I can't make that much noise when they're asleep. We are not in a position to build a studio or hire a nanny like Jonathon Coulton who Merlin interviewed recently on The Merlin Show, so for now that just has to be on my to do in the future list. But then when I really think about it, I'll be back at work next year and the kids will still be home when I am, so where and when does the reality of this dream happen.

I think I was happier when I was just thinking I'd get to it once they're at school. Now I feel like I need a plan. Good grief. I'm also studying again right now and I'm trying to get into this GTD mindset to improve my performance there too. Maybe one thing at a time, but that doesn't seem to be the GTD way, thats letting things fall through the cracks.

Any suggestions from GTD experts out there!
Good to vent anyway
Cheers
Marina

About soprina

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »