43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

.bash_profile

Hi 43f folks,

I come to you with a bit of a question, a bit of a show and tell.

I've been hearing since I made the mac switch like 4 years ago that OS X was the best thing since sliced bread, because "look dude, there's the command line if you ever need it."

Sigh.

And then I never heard about the command-line except by people who are all about telling me that it's the best thing since sliced bread. Well, I've dug a little bit, and I've made some progress I know how to get around, and after a few months of really trying pretty hard, I'm almost borderline competent.

So I wanted to post a few links to things that I've found useful and a bit of the relevant parts of my .bash_profile and see what you all have to say and what cool things you're doing with your .bash_profiles.

Things I find really helpful:

• MacPorts. I initially used fink a lot, and I still do a little bit, but I find the stuff on mac ports to be a bit more up to date and useful. Happy about that.
  • Cmd-R to run bash commands from inside of text mate.
  • wcalc for calculator
  • blacktree's visor.
  • Geektool to display files on the desktop, you all probably know that one.

I'm going to copy and paste the relevant part of my bash_profile so you can all see, comment and add to what I have. Though frankly most of what's there are alias's for common directory changes, and subversion commands.

alias instiki='ruby /instiki/instiki'

alias td='mate .tasks'
alias tdo='mate /pathto/.tasks'
alias btd='mate /pathto/other/.tasks'

# Directory Changes
alias text='cd /pathto/mainproject'
alias output='cd /pathto/output'
alias webhost='cd /pathto/webhost'
alias blog='cd /pathto/blogfiles'
alias project='cd /pathto/project'

# things for subversion
alias sm='svn move'
alias sa='svn add'
alias sd='svn delete'
alias sr='svn rename'
alias sc='svn commit'
alias ss='svn status'

alias ssync='svnsync sync path://tobackup/svn'
alias ssyncr='svn pdel --revprop -r 0 svn:sync-lock path://tobackup/svn'

# Makes Visor behave 
resetvisor() {                                                                        
  defaults write com.apple.Terminal VisorTerminal -dict-add Rows 15                 
  ~/.visor &                                                                        
  killall Terminal                                                                  
}   

A word about my organization/files. I have a bunch of folders in my documents folder (which are all synced to a local subversion repo that I sync up regularly with an offsite repo. I have two to three .tasks files, which contain todo lists, though there are sometimes other folders that have a tasks file if the project contained within needs specific planning. Most everything is in the main .tasks file though, so there isn't really a system breakdown there.

I feel like I could be doing more, or that I'm being really assbackwards about the whole thing. If you have anything to comment, I know this isn't dotfiles.org, but I think this is (or can be) as much about strategy as it is about what's in the .bash_profile

About tychoish

tychoish's picture

Bio

Knitter. Writer. Queer. Student.

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »