43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

Simple idea for a time tracking application (with mockup)

Hi all, I've long been a reader and follow the site, but I've recently just got a simple idea for an app that I think could be really useful to people. My hope is that if it's good, that someone would like to code it. I'm not sure if this is the right place/site, but I figure you guys would have some good ideas/feedback.

---------

On the mac there are plenty of apps for time management and keeping track of what you need to do in the day. Being a terrible procrastinator I've probably tried them all.

Oftentimes the simplest solutions are the best, so what I'm proposing is a tiny app that lives only in the OSX menubar (or Windows toolbar) and changes color during the day depending on how close you get to a specified time.

here's a mockup:

Usage of the app would be super simple:

in the prefs:
* There would be a field to define a start and end time. In this case, the start time is 7pm and the end time is 12pm. For many people this could be the start of the workday at 9am to 5pm, or whenever it is that you've decided to commit yourself to a task/project.

* The other field would be to define a start and end color. In the example above, yellow is the start color and red is the end one, as the time period elapses the color transforms along a simple linear gradient from start to end color.

* Maybe an option for a beep or growl message when the timer is done and you've arrived at your end color

And that's it! I have no idea how to program for OSX, but if anyone thinks it's a great idea and it's simple enough and would like to program it please go right ahead :D

What do you think? Thanks for reading!

(note, i posted this on my own personal site as well at http://www.pketh.com/weblog/app-proposal-crunch-time )

AttachmentSize
Picture 2.png9.38 KB

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »