43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

Topless Meetings Follow-Up

Hello: This is a follow-up to the topless meetings post. I did some searching and found a some past posts, etc about meetings. This seems to be a popular topic.

I wonder about a few things, if anyone cares to comment on any of them:

What about bringing the meeting to people where they are -- online chat rooms and the like?

Most importantly, how do you decide when to have a meeting? I'm going to try and find some research on this -- but I worked for a past employer who seemed to distribute by e-mail those things in which people were most interested/invested and about which they would have the most questions/feedback, and tended to have meetings for information that should've been distributed by e-mail or some other less time-consuming, more passive means.

Of course most places I've been I've sat through boring, tedious and unstructured meetings, or meetings where a lot needed to get done but we never got past the first agenda item, etc. It occurs to me, though, that I have no clue how to run a good meeting. It's one of those ubiquitous facts of professional life for which nobody seems to have specific training!

TOPICS: Ask 43f, Meetings

About CuriousGeorgeGuy

CuriousGeorgeGuy's picture

Bio

An aspiring librarian who has realized he needs to manage his own information effectively if he's ever going to help others manage theirs effectively!

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »