[n.b.: this post has been updated to reflect the release of version B32r2. --2004-11-06 15:35 PST]
Since there's new folks moving to Quicksilver all the time, I thought I'd post some more starter tips if you're following along here. If you have questions about stuff not working as described, doublecheck your setup and the tips below.
- Read the Quickstart Guide
- Always use the latest version of Quicksilver, available here
- Read Dan Dickinson's really great tutorial on setting up and orienting yourself with Quicksilver.
- This is the post that got me to try Quicksilver, and it's excellent.
- Note that some of the items discussed in the tutorial (including some Appearance prefs) have moved around in recent releases
- Update 2005-02-23 07:11:33 - Dan also has created an excellent intermediate tutorial I can highly recommend.
- Get comfortable with all your options in the Prefrences box.
- As of v. B32r2, most of the configuration options (including catalogs and triggers) have been consolidated into the tabbed Preferences box
- To get to Preferences:
- Invoke Quicksilver (
Control-Spacebar, by default)
Command-, (that's a comma)
- To use many of the tips metioned on 43 Folders, you need to run in "Beta mode"
- While slightly more adventurous than "Stable" mode, Beta shouldn't give you much worse problems than an occasional crash. YMMV.
- Beta mode can be enabled under "Preferences > Application > Feature Mode" where you select "Enable Advanced Features > Beta"
- Load up on plug-ins, which are all here
- Quicksilver's main application provides a core of basic functionality; the plug-ins are the sexy bits that let you integrate with other applications and services
- Browse the list for any apps or services that you use, and install any others that look interesting to you
- If you're running in Beta mode, note that extra plug-ins may be available (but are filtered out of the standard plug-in page).
- Go to "Preferences > Plug-ins"
- Click the little gear menu
- Select "Download More Plug-ins"
- This will take you to the plug-ins web page, with extra, beta-compatible plug-ins revealed
- Install or download the plug-ins you want
- Important: If something is not working the way it's described in a post, chances are good you're missing a necessary plug-in
- Make sure you've set up and enabled the right Catalogs for what you want to do
- View and add to Catalogs by going to "Preferences > Catalog"
- For more on getting started or to learn more about Quicksilver, check out other resources: