43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

application overload! Shiny new toys....

Do you have a set of apps that do it all happily, or do you tinker with shiny new things?

I'll admit it, I'm an applications tart. I started off with Mac Mail, then heard good things about TBird, got annoyed with that... now I've switched to Entourage, and 'so far so good'. (despite the massive job of dealing with the hundreds of old unprocessed emails)

I've been tinkering with Wikis, signed up for BackPackit (no images on the free one....:( )and am beta-testing another funky task organizing ap. Oh, not to mention Sciral Consistency and Scrivener...

(Then I checked out the Leopard preview and thought, hmmm, maybe I should go back to Mac Mail, and wait out for the entourage-like features in the new version...)

Oh and I signed up for a .mac trial...

While everyone sticks the boot in to entourage, I'm finding it okay so far - I somehow got the Perl script to 'add note/task' from an email to work - brilliant! So now the processed email goes in the archive or project folder for easy retrieval, and the task is added and not forgotten. Love it.

The only big thing I'm missing, I think, is the ability to share calendars with DH. I have to add his appointments myself when he emails them to me. I'm not sure that I really need any other task managers, though I thought I could use TiddlyWiki to handle all my art ideas - I had some trouble with it initially, but now I've updated Java maybe it will work now. Notes and sketches aren't email, so they don't seem to belong in Entourage - or do they?

As a tester, I just created a project, added a note and image... the interface isn't as pretty as a Mac app, but it works.

Maybe I should stop messing with all these funky toys and just stick with one that seems to work!

Helen

About sisyphea

sisyphea's picture

Bio

Helen is a mother, artist, writer and amateur musician, who works online as an art teacher. A recent convert to GTD, interested in ecology, humanism and social justice, beautiful design from Art Deco to mid-century and beyond.

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »