MacBreak 33: The Distracted Mac (Direct MOV Download)
Although it covers a lot of the same ground as a previous MacBreak we did on the subject, I think Leo and my segment on un-distract-ifying your Mac turned out pretty good (my atrocious hairstyle at shoot time notwithstanding). Download 10:28 MOV file now...
Here's the apps and tricks that we covered, with links:
- Hide Others - In the front app, select "
[Application name menu] > Hide Others"
- Turn [Dock] Hiding On - In the Dock,
CTRL-Click the Dock's vertical separator bar, and select "
Turn Hiding On"
- Backdrop - Create a black background that still lets you easily interact with Desktop contents
- MenuShade - Alter the brightness of your Menu -- or totally black it out, like I do
- Spirited Away -- Hides non-active applications after the interval of your choice (thanks for the legacy download link, Don)
- Path Finder - Totally tricked out Finder on steroids that I love love love; where I made the Desktop black and hid all mounted drives, folders, etc. (doable in the regular Finder, too)
- Hazel - Automagically clean up the contents of folders and the Desktop (e.g., "move old MP3s here" or "archive files older than a week" etc.)
- Textmate - My favorite text editor. Which I apparently love to plug for no particular reason.
Edit 2006-12-21 16:51:22: Check after the cut for reader suggestions from comments for this post...
Recommended by 43f readers in comments
- Witch - "Witch lets you access all of your windows by pressing a shortcut and choosing from a clearly arranged list of window titles..."
- Desktopple - "With Desktopple, you can quickly and easily hide all of your Desktop clutter."
- LiteSwitch X - Merlin's fave app switcher; handy also for quitting, hiding, or restarting apps without changing focus
- [unsanity] WindowShade X - Hack control of your Finder Windows
- Menufela - "Menufela is a haxie that lets you hide away the menubar and/or get rid of the spotlight menu item."
- Doodim - "Doodim permits one to dim the background of the foremost application thereby enhancing its visibility."
- ianhenderson.org - megazoomer - "Megazoomer makes windows full-screen. "
- WriteRoom | Hog Bay Software - "WriteRoom is a full screen, distraction free, writing environment."